As we age, our eyes require extra care and attention to ensure good vision and overall eye health. August, designated as National Eye Exam Month, is the perfect time for seniors to prioritize their vision and take proactive steps to maintain clear sight and detect potential eye issues. In this blog, we’ll explore the significance of eye exams and provide valuable resources for seniors in the New York City, Long Island, Northern New Jersey, and Westchester areas to help them access top-notch eye care.
The Importance of Eye Exams for Seniors
Regular eye exams are essential for seniors as they can help in early detection and treatment of eye diseases and conditions that become more prevalent with age. Conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy can often go unnoticed in their early stages. Through comprehensive eye exams, eye care professionals can catch these issues early on and provide the appropriate care to prevent vision loss and maintain eye health.
Facts About Eye Exams
- Frequency: For seniors over the age of 65, annual eye exams are recommended. If you have existing eye conditions or chronic health issues, more frequent check-ups may be necessary.
- Painless and Quick: Eye exams are generally painless and quick procedures. They typically include tests to assess your visual acuity, eye pressure, and overall eye health.
- Beyond Vision Correction: Eye exams go beyond just updating prescriptions for glasses or contact lenses. They provide a comprehensive evaluation of your eyes’ health, including checking for signs of eye diseases and other health issues.
Resources in New York City, Long Island, Northern New Jersey, and Westchester where Seniors and their families can go for Eye Care.
New York City:
- The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai (NYEE) offers top-notch eye care and cutting-edge treatments. They have specialists for various eye conditions and provide comprehensive eye exams.
- The Harkness Eye Institute at Columbia University Irving Medical Center is another renowned center for eye care and research in NYC.
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New Hyde Park has a dedicated Eye Institute, providing comprehensive eye care services and advanced treatments. They
- Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island (OCLI) has multiple locations across Long Island, offering a range of eye care services for seniors.
Northern New Jersey:
- The New Jersey Eye Center in Bloomfield provides personalized eye care services, including eye exams, cataract surgery, and treatments for various eye conditions.
- The Eye Care & Surgery Center of Paramus offers a wide range of ophthalmic services, including routine eye exams and advanced eye surgery.
- Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla houses the Eye Institute, offering comprehensive eye care services and state-of-the-art treatments.
- The Westchester Eye and Laser Center in White Plains provides high-quality eye care, including routine exams and advanced surgical procedures.
Remember, taking care of your vision is essential for maintaining a high quality of life as you age. Utilize the resources available in your area to schedule regular eye exams and receive the best possible eye care. Let’s celebrate National Eye Exam Month by making our eye health a priority and enjoying the world around us with clear vision!
If you or a loved one need assistance to or from an eye appointment, Alvita Care is here to help! We can provide escorts to and from appointments or surgeries. We can also assist with eye care or medication. Call us today to learn more! 212-273-0490