Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Need to Know

Making “Me-Time” When Living with Elderly Parents

As an adult child, you might make the decision to invite your elderly parent to move in with you.

Having a mom or dad close to you makes you less anxious about leaving them alone and more easily able to care for them. In addition, it never hurts to have an extra hand and a pair of eyes to help watch the kids!

But oftentimes, having an additional person to care for in the home can add a lot of stress to your life. Living with your elderly parent requires a lot of additional time and energy in order to devote yourself to their needs. The pile of laundry adds up; there are more meals to prepare and more medical appointments to attend. When caring for multiple people at the same time, it is easy to get lost in the long list of worries and errands. For this reason, it is imperative for your well-being that you carve out time in your schedule for yourself.

At Alvita Care, we believe honesty is the best policy and suggest that you directly tell your elderly parent that you need some time for yourself. Taking time for yourself might feel selfish at first, but in the long run, it will actually help your elderly parents who are living with you.

When you have time alone, you have time to take a break, relax, relieve your stress, and regain your enthusiasm. This will make you a better son or daughter and a better spouse and parent as well. Apart from work, we suggest that you spend at least a half-hour each day to make sure you can do what’s necessary at home to take care of yourself. This may also take the form of a walk, a run, a nap, or a quick read before bed. Rest assured that this will make a big difference to your days and a tremendous help to the work involved in caring for an elderly parent! We strive to provide the most excellent home care services in NYC, Long Island, New Jersey, and Westchester County. You can contact us or call at 212-273-0490.

How can we help you today?