“Aging In Place” is our forte here at Alvita Care!
No matter what age or ability, we do our best to facilitate your comfort within and without your home.
According to the 2010-2014 U.S. Census Bureau, 96% of older adults in New York City are aging in place, meaning they are choosing to stay in their home cities and neighborhoods instead of moving away.
Reasons for this can range from stable living conditions to strong community ties. As we age, familiarity can be comforting, even necessary for day-to-day tasks. Because older residents are such a treasure and foundation of our neighborhoods, we have many amazing support networks and opportunities in place for seniors.
Despite the positive aspects, staying in your home or neighborhood can present some challenges that may not be immediately apparent. Many apartment buildings and older businesses may be slow to meet older residents’ needs in updating entryways, open spaces, and living spaces, and this can become dangerous and may lead to an increased risk of falling, one of the highest causes of injury among seniors. While we will be posting about falling prevention in an article coming soon, it is vitally important to be comfortable and safe within the confines of your home and local neighborhood, especially for those with memory issues.
When appropriate, the decision to stay in your home or relocate to a residence where one might receive more assistance is one of the most important questions to face.
Choices seniors and their families face when choosing how to move forward with a living situation.
Here at Alvita Care, we accommodate our client’s wishes, and we specialize in providing in-home care in NYC, Westchester County, NY, as well as Long Island and New Jersey. We want you and your family to feel secure in the knowledge that we will do our best to make you as safe and comfortable as possible.
Familiarity within your apartment or own home is so important, as are connections to your local neighborhood and neighbors! Maintaining those connections can be spiritually and mentally rewarding and a true avenue of support in times of need.
For those who’ve decided to “age in place,” we encourage you and your family to discuss the measures and activities you feel most comfortable scheduling into your daily routine.
Thankfully, we live in one of the best places for seniors in the world! Our metropolitan area has some of the best support agencies and groups out there for you. Your neighborhood may be offering some truly stellar senior programs and discounts at the senior center, social adult day care programs, libraries, and cultural centers in your area.
These local programs offer great ways to connect with that neighborhood you love so much, including:
- Group exercise – The YMCA and senior center often offer gentle or chair yoga, senior swim classes, and much more.
- Book clubs –Check your local library for groups that read books in your preferred genre. Many libraries have senior programs where they will send/deliver books to your home if it is more convenient for you.
- Educational classes – Again, your local library has great (usually free) courses on beginning computer use and exploring your iPhone and offers special talks on history and authors’ work.
- Cultural programs – There are countless senior programs and discounts at museums, music venues, and dance centers – anywhere you want to go, it’s very likely that they offer something for you!
- Group trips/tours – Our area offers many opportunities: whether you’re interested in historic homes, architecture, gardens, or artwork. Many of these locations are ADA certified and offer great options and discounts for senior groups. Check your local senior center to see if they have anything planned that interests you.
…And so much more!
The resources are out there for you to explore anything that tickles your fancy. An easy-to-use and comprehensive resource can be found at www.nyc-arts.org/seniors.
At Alvita Care, we make it easy for you to do the things you love, whether in your home or your neighborhood! We offer great Companion Care options in New York City, helping you maintain the lifestyle that you want and are accustomed to and encouraging you to explore your interests. If you are interested in setting up care, please contact us or call our office at (212) 273-0490 to speak with an Alvita Care representative!